Hair: why do they fall more in autumn? The causes and natural remedies to be taken at home, from the correct diet to feed the hair to beauty hair treatments
Falling hair in the fall? an experience we all do every year. Why? Autumn perhaps even more than in spring, is the period of the year in which hair falls in greater quantities and there are different reasons why this phenomenon occurs. Recently, science has explained that this phenomenon seems to be linked to the action of some hormones whose activity is influenced by the amount of available light hours. This change induces a variation especially in the circulating levels of androgen hormones that are present in different quantities both in men and women. These hormones are strongly involved in the metabolism of hair follicles and therefore change concentration precisely according to seasonal rhythms. So hair loss in the fall is not just an urban legend! Oh yes, it’s really true, autumn comes, hair falls like leaves ! With the first cold the increase in hair loss is completely physiological and therefore normal, so do not be alarmed if it happens. However, there are natural remedies and precautions to use at home, starting right from the diet. You must however know that in reality hair falls all year round due to a natural physiological turnover. In fact the average life cycle of a hair is two / six years, which means that, during the life of a human being, each hair falls and grows several times before finally dying due to the atrophy of the bulb. Spring (between April and May) and autumn (from September to November) do nothing but increase (even by 20/30%) this phenomenon that involves everyone, men, women and children without any distinction. Let’s find out the scientific reasons about hair loss in the fall.
Hair: why do they fall in autumn? The main causes
That hair loss increases particularly in autumn, if you notice, it follows the rhythm of nature . In fact, autumn is the season in which many plant and animal organisms adapt to the lowering of temperature in view of winter: the trees release the leaves, the animals change their hair and men lose their hair. An factor important and long known is the fact that, in winter the amount of hair in phase anagen (ie in the growth phase) is greater and the life cycle is slower . On the contrary, in the summer months the hair (and body hair in general) reaches its maximum growth speed, consequently also increasing the quantity of hair that reaches the phase telogen, (ie the terminal phase of the life cycle ) to prepare for detachment: these are precisely those hairs that will fall after a few months, that is, precisely in the autumn period. Naturally this phenomenon must have a limited duration in time that must not exceed approximately 2 or 3 months and it is consolidated that if no other factors intervene the situation then normalizes with the rapid regrowth of fallen hair.
Cause n ° 1: The decrease in daylight hours
Talking about the “why” hair loss occurs in this period, some scholars have shown that the different relationship between hours of light and hours of darkness is the main cause of hair loss because it affects our hormones, as well as the return to city life, after the holidays in the open air, with air pollution, the stress of returning to school or work activities can affect this phenomenon. Obviously those with long hair will notice this phenomenon much more. Normally a hair falls when the follicle has started producing a new hair ready to replace it. Follicle activity is not synchronous; indeed, each follicle works independently. As a rule, in the scalp there are follicles in activity (90 percent) and follicles in the resting phase (10 percent). This explains why in physiological conditions the hair falls a little every day and not all together, as happens in other mammals, where the synchronization of the cycle causes all the hairs to be reciprocated during the moult.
Cause n ° 2: Strong exposure to summer sunlight
Other researches state that the massive autumnal hair loss is caused by strong exposure to heat and to the summer sun rays which causes a general weakening of the stem and the root. Certainly it is true. In fact, in summer the increased exposure to solar radiation leads to greater oxidation of melanin, which changes, causing hair to become lighter and keratin to change. This process leads to a weakening of the pillar structures that become opaque, stringy, and more fragile. Furthermore, chlorine and salt from sea water strongly dehydrate hair. They favor the opening and the breaking of the scales of the protective cuticle of the hair and the exposure of the cortex (no longer protected by its wrapper) makes it susceptible to fractures. Finally, the heat and humidity that stagnate on the scalp due to excessive sweating also create conditions favorable to an increase in the microbial flora that resides on the skin with alteration of physiological parameters and conditions that are not optimal for healthy hair growth. But we can have a more complete answer from the observation of nature and its cycles: just as at the “macro” level nature withdraws its energies to prepare for winter lethargy, so also in the human body energy levels decrease and slow down. The tree, whose hair has always been identified with the hair, slowly goes out and, losing its leaves, it prepares itself for the restful sleep of the cold months before being reborn in spring. So, if on some days you see some extra hair on your pillow you won’t have too much trouble.
Cause n ° 3: Nutritional deficiencies
In addition to the fall of autumn hair, there are other causes and risk factors that cause hair loss . It is important to know them in order to better address the problem and understand how to behave. It is a widespread disorder that affects about 50% of subjects. One of the possible causes is due to nutritional deficiencies. A diet deficient in iron and protein leads to a weakening of the crown. Iron deficiency that nourishes hair bulbs leads to hair loss. Thyroid hormones can affect and lead to a widespread fall of hair that often turns out to be dry and dull. As for the male sex, they tend to lose hair in the age group between 20 and 60 years. In men, the areas most affected are the forehead, the temples and the upper area of the head. The main cause of hair loss is the action of an enzyme that transforms testosterone, also known as Dht, a substance that acts on the hair bulb and shrinks it. Androgenetic alopecia involves not only men, but also women who begin to blame it especially after the menopause period. It is clear that like any other tissue, organ and muscle in our body, so too hair needs a healthy diet to be nourished and grow strong and healthy. If the diet followed is low in vitamin A, for example, we will have as a result dry and dull hair, while if we renounce to vegetable oils and whole grains we risk to experience deficiencies of vitamin E, the main enemy of free radicals, in turn implicated in deterioration and in hair loss. Combating premature hair loss is precisely one of the most awaited results from those who embrace a rich and complete diet: cascade follows transversal benefits, so who a varied diet improves the appearance and health of the scalp, of bulb and hair.
Fall of the autumn hair? Here are some foods to eat to prevent it
Iron, copper, magnesium, zinc, carbohydrates, are some of the elements contained in foods, in some drinks and in everything that is appropriate eat to nourish and thicken your hair. It is very important to start right from the correct diet to prevent a weakening of the hair and, consequently, its fall. Although in autumn it is, as we have already amply demonstrated, natural and physiological that we lose some hair, we cannot for this reason not intervene. Starting right from the table, from some foods that, if they did not stop hair loss completely, would certainly decrease their hair loss.
First of all, in order to prevent and thicken the scalp we need, in our diet, a greater contribution than Vitamin B
The B vitamins are found in cereals, brewer’s yeast, liver and egg yolk. Vitamin H or biotin, in brown rice and fresh fruit, provides the sulfur necessary for the life of hair cells. Yes also to green tea: polyphenols which abound have a strong antioxidant activity. Instead, refined sugar and foods containing it should be banned because sucrose, lacking in B vitamins, goes to impoverish the body’s reserves. Honey and brown sugar are better. Also avoid pre-cooked canned foods that even if practical, always contain chemicals that deplete the body’s vitamin and hair in particular. The B vitamins are a group of essential vitamins to a correct diet and their properties are very useful to avoid health problems. Eat every day: 5 hazelnuts; in the morning drink a teaspoon of wheat germ oil and have breakfast with cornflakes. Remember that vitamin B1 is eliminated from alcohol, from smoke and from consumption of sweets and sugar . Even the heat of cooking and the simultaneous intake of seafood and raw fish cancel the benefits of Vitamin B1 . We see specifically all the vitamins that function have on the care of the hair
- The vitamin B1: It promotes the healthy growth of the hair. We find it particularly in Legumes
- La vitamin B4: It stimulates the activity of the hair bulb. This vitamin is found in eggs, dairy products, broccoli, green beans
- Vitamin B5 : Strengthens the hair shaft and accelerates regrowth. Foods that contain this vitamin are: Eggs, peanuts, mushrooms, liver, broccoli,
- Vitamin B6: Counteracts the production of DHT, a hormone that causes excess sebum and hair loss, essential for the synthesis of keratin . Foods that contain vitamin B6 are: Wholemeal flour, avocado, bananas, hazelnuts, wheat germ, brewer’s yeast, oranges, kiwi, dark leafy vegetables;
- Vitamin B9: Strong deficiencies of vitamin B9 cause the early hair loss, that’s why you should eat tomatoes, legumes, cereals, wheat germ, brewer’s yeast, liver,
- Vitamin B12 : It has a regenerating effect on scalp cells. In this case it is recommended to eat foods such as: Legumes, spinach, red meat, fresh parsley, unpeeled almonds
- vitamin C strengthens the immune system and facilitates cell regeneration, a fact that will lead to faster hair growth. Orange, Kiwi, Spinach
- Vitamin E: counteracts free radicals which are responsible for the deterioration of the scalp and hair loss. Vitamin E is found in vegetable oils, whole grains
- Iron: it is fundamental for the oxygenation of the blood that nourishes the hair and the scalp. Particularly suitable for red meats, spinach, legumes, oily nuts,
- Zinc: this promotes hair growth. We find it in foods such as: meat and fish;
- Copper: It promotes hair pigment and its synthesis, thus avoiding premature hair growth. It is found in: Spinach, crustaceans and potatoes.
- Magnesium: It promotes the development of enzymes useful in the production of melanin and in hair regrowth. Magnesium is found particularly in dark green leafy vegetables, peanuts, Chia seeds, cocoa beans, dried fruit
- Sulfur: contrasts weak and brittle hair. Particularly present in white meat, liver and ham.
- Vitamin A: Contrasts the dryness and opacity of the hair. Present in eggs, fatty fish, green leafy vegetables and liver
Certainly the dried fruit – walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts, just abundant in autumn – will be a friend, but also tryptophan contained in all the vegetables green, as well as the contribution of potassium, magnesium and other mineral salts of pumpkin, courgettes, potatoes and bananas. Tomatoes, meanwhile, are an excellent source of lycopene a protective element for circulation and able to improve the flow in every part of the body. It is therefore necessary to combine a healthy and balanced diet, based on the Mediterranean diet where there is a correct intake of carbohydrates, proteins, fats and mineral salts, in addition, of course, to vitamins. Everyone can follow the diet which he considers more congenial to his needs, habits and tastes, but it is undeniable that the hair is a very complex “product” of our body, and as such needing a plurality of elements that only well-balanced diets can guarantee. To each, therefore, the conclusions of the case
The damaged hair essentially has some known characteristics. Through a check on your hair, you can understand the health of your hair. The following are the characteristics to be reported for wasted hair:
- lightened (due to the oxidation of melanin caused by solar radiation),
- stopposo (fault of the scales which in the absence of intercellular cement raise),
- tending to break with ease (when the keratin chains inside the cortex are damaged)
I the simplest way to verify damage in addition to analyzing its appearance is pulling the single hair, if it breaks it means that it is devitalized and needs all our attention. How to distinguish whether hair loss is seasonal or an onset of alopecia? The answer is quite simple: On average, every day, up to 100 hairs are naturally lost . Number that rises in this period but that is always difficult to quantify with accuracy. Counting the number of hair is impossible and even if one commits oneself, one ends up losing one’s head. The fall is regular if occurs uniformly on the surface. If, on the other hand, it occurs at chiazze it may be alopecia or, in any case, a serious fall. The solution in this last case is to go to the dermatologist. It is however good not to confuse a transient loss, such as autumnal, with other permanent disorders, such as androgenetic alopecia, or inflammatory disorders, such as alopecia areata. For this reason, the opinion of the specialist is always inevitable.
Hair and fall fall: Masks, shampoos, conditioners and scrubs a mix to be dosed !
Autumn needs to be given as much attention to hair as possible to the skin of the face. The products to be combined together are many and different. The cleansing must be entrusted to shampoos composed of sweet surfactants. It only takes one rinsing and a small dose to dilute with water before applying it to the hair. Otherwise you risk taking away an excessive amount of sebum, which is essential to lubricate the hair and keep its defense capabilities high. The balsam a cosmetic that tends to stick to the hair and remain on the hair even after a second wash, should be used only once a week to avoid weighing down the hair. It works best as a restructuring mask . Once or twice a week, depending on the need, he can repair damaged hair in depth. Instead, once or twice a month, massage a scrub specifically for the head: it cleans the surface, empties the hair follicles of sebum and impurities and revitalizes the hair bulb. The most suitable ingredients are restructuring agents (such as ceramides and keratin), nutrients (vegetable butters and oils) and decongestants and revitalizers (such as spices : turmeric, rosemary, chilli, black pepper, cinnamon and ginger.
Hair and autumn: the remedies and anti-fall strategies
Regarding natural remedies you can think of decoctions and infusions to be applied lukewarm on the scalp, based on thyme, lavender, chamomile or nettle. These plants, in addition to showing slight anti-inflammatory effects, are known for their ability to stimulate the follicles. Space also for essences and oils, to prolong the life of the hair over time: among the best known, coconut oil, jojoba oil, shea butter and aloe vera gel
The best strategies to put in place to safeguard hair loss in autumn is really very simple. Real everyday pills to always take. Let’s see what:
- Avoid washing your head every day. This avoids depleting the protective shield of the hair, formed by a hydrolipidic film that defends the fiber from external aggressions.
- Tick the hair until the damaged ends are eliminated. It is used to revitalize and strengthen the bulb
- Keep the temperature of the hair dryer as low as possible
- Rinse the hair with mineral water . In this way, the limestone residues are removed.
- Add a few drops of apple vinegar or half a lemon squeezed into the mineral water. It balances the pH and intensifies its shine
- Vitamin supplements : In addition to proper nutrition, and appropriate use of cleansing products, we can act to strengthen our hair with supplements that contain all the precious components listed in the previous descriptions
- Reducing stress! It will look like a big word but one of the main causes of hair loss in the autumn depends on stress. So, reducing stress maybe practicing sport and adopting a healthy lifestyle can help you strengthen your hair.