Mussel and potato rice, the original recipe of this typical Italian dish. Quick and easy to prepare, here’s how.
Rice mussels and baked potatoes. An antique, inexpensive dish in which the ingredients are arranged in layers and cooked in a baked pan. Let’s see the recipe.
Rice and mussels recipe…
- 300 gr. of rice
- 1 kg of mussels
- 1 clove of garlic
- 500 grams of potatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
Preparation Rice mussels and baked potatoes:
- Clean the mussels, washing them and brushing them in abundant salted water.
- Put them in a pan, close it with a lid and let the shellfish open.
- Remove the shells and filter the liquid.
- Wash, peel and slice the potatoes. Chop the onion.
- Grease a pan with oil and make a first layer with the potatoes, season with pepper, chopped parsley and onion and a little salt.
- Make a second layer with the rice, add the mussels and make another layer with the potatoes seasoned with garlic and onion.
- Pepper abundantly and add very little salt.
- Pour the cooking liquid from the mussels and then add water to the last layer of potatoes.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or, even better, warm.
This ancient dish is called in various ways, there are those who call it rice, mussels and potatoes, rice, mussels and potatoes, rice, mussels and potatoes and so on. It comes from the Bari and Pugliese tradition and, although there are variations, the base is the three basic ingredients.
For rice we recommend Arborio or Carnaroli. The dish can be served hot but it is even better if left to rest a little and served warm.