Sore throat often occurs in winter, it may depend on several factors, not just viral. Let’s find out the possible causes and symptoms.
With the arrival of the winter season, sore throat is always lurking the causes are different from simple thermal changes to virus infection.
Sore throat does not always manifest itself in the same way, two distinctions must be made, between pharyngitis and laryngitis. In the first case, it concerns the tonsils, while the second concerns inflammation of the larynx, where the vocal cords are found.
We are here to clarify the causes and symptoms of sore throat.
Sore throat: the causes and symptoms
Sore throat manifests itself, especially in winter, a perfect combination since the cold, the temperature changes between environments heated, like the house, the premises, the shopping centers and the external environment, can trigger it. In addition, the presence of viruses and bacteria can endanger the health of the throat, in some cases it is also associated with fever.
We often get wet when it rains, or sudden gusts of wind, to which we are exposed , can cause sore throat, because the causes are not only bacterial or viral. Discover the possible causes of sore throat
1. Virus : viruses are able to enter the mucosal cells, their job is to kill the infected cells and then multiply again, doing so, they go to take the place of the old ones. In this way they give rise to symptoms such as:
- flu: in some cases with high fever
- mild pain: joint and muscle
2. Bacteria : unlike viruses, they are much larger germs that multiply outside the cells they infect and damage.
Streptococcus is the bacterium most feared by all, which can degenerate causing high fever and not only, the tonsils become inflamed, which manifest themselves with whitish plaques and pain.
3. Reddening : the throat may be reddened, for several reasons that cause this annoying sore throat, here are the factors:
- alcohol: excessive consumption
- smoke: of the cigarette
- a little damp environment or pollution: a job, or spend many hours on the road;
- nasogastric tube
- gastro-oesophageal reflux: subjects who suffer from it
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome
- Kawasaki syndrome
- blood disorders: like leukemia and anemia
The symptoms are various of sore throat:
- swollen throat sensation
- difficult deglutation: we perceive the presence of a foreign body that prevents swallowing
- swollen tonsils
- cough: dry and irritated
- cold: it is really one with firm of a bacterial attack.
How to diagnose
When the symptoms listed above occur, it is advisable to go to your doctor, who will check your throat with a special instrument and not only that, also the ears and the nose. Sometimes the doctor palpates the neck to check the condition of the lymph nodes, then indicates a pharmacological cure to follow.
Tips to follow
Here are some tips to follow to relieve sore throat :
- eat liquid and fresh foods: avoid foods and beverages that are too hot, eat ice cream or ice cubes,
- do not include foods such as crackers, crisp bread and dry snacks in your daily diet, as they are enemies of sore throats, because they are difficult to swallow
- balsamic tablets: to eat during the day;
- not to smoke
- drink a lot of water : to avoid alcohol, drinks based on caffeine:
- do not eat very spicy foods and acidic foods: such as chili peppers, tomatoes, oranges, lemon, mandarins, as they go to irritate the throat;
- eat wheat germ and pumpkin seeds: they are rich in zinc, which helps to strengthen the immune system;
- to humidify the air in the rooms where we stop more often
- to take antibiotics: only if prescribed by your doctor.